Dealing with tooth loss isn’t easy. That doesn’t come as a surprise since tooth loss can bring a considerable amount of challenges into your life. With an incomplete set of pearly whites, you can’t show yourself during your high school reunion or your best friend’s party because you’re not sure if other people will treat you kindly once your physical flaw surfaces. You also have to settle for soft foods due to your biting and chewing troubles. Furthermore, you find it very difficult to strike a conversation with the person you like no thanks to the distorted sounds you make every time you speak. Fortunately, you don’t have to put up with these hardships your entire life. It turns out that your dentist has just offered to give you replacement teeth in the form of dentures. But before accepting your dentist’s offer, you’ll want to know if dentures suit you best by going over their advantages and disadvantages.
• Shatter your self-doubts. By filling all of the empty spaces in your mouth, dentures not only make you look attractive, but make you feel much more confident about yourself as well.
• Free you from your dietary restrictions. You can easily eat your favorite solid foods when all of your teeth are present.
• Address your speaking problems. With all of your teeth at your disposal, anyone can properly understand what you have to say.
• Can last for a long time. Although dentures eventually need to be replaced, they usually last for five to ten years.
• Have a habit of moving a lot. Being removable artificial teeth, dentures tend to move in your mouth, which can be quite inconvenient when you’re eating or talking. It’ll take you awhile to get used to them as you’ll have to speak or chew slowly to keep them in place.
• Can be difficult to maintain. To maintain dentures, you need to brush them religiously, store them in a glass of water before going to bed, and prevent them from falling on hard surfaces. But these are minor chores that you’ll soon get used to in exchange for getting a complete set of teeth.
To discover more advantages and disadvantages of dentures, you may visit Dr. David Smith here at our Carmel, Indiana dental clinic or give him a call at 317-597-8748.