Preventing Discomfort Without Drugs
Most people would agree that fear of pain (the needle, oh the needle) is the number one reason people put off going to the dentist. The problem is, the more you put off coming to see the dentist, the more likely you are to need a procedure that requires some time of sedation (in the past, that has usually meant the needle).
But for those who are afraid of going to the dentist, we have many options to make sure you don’t feel a thing!
There are two that don’t require needles or drugs of any kind: NuCalm and tensing (pronounced tenz-ing).
NuCalm Calms and Relaxes Your Mind
NuCalm is a drug-free relaxation technology that allows you to relax. Most people say they feel more refreshed at the end of their appointment than when they came in.
NuCalm allows you to achieve a state of relaxation similar to meditation. A meditative state disconnects you from your anxiety centers, resulting in a relaxed and pleasant experience without the negative effects associated with sedatives.
Here’s how it works:
1. You chew dietary supplements that relax you by counteracting adrenaline. This creates a natural relaxation response.
2. Small patches go behind each ear. Research shows this also helps bring about the relaxation response.
3. Noise-dampening headphones deliver soothing music slow your brainwaves to the pre-sleep stage.
4. A light-blocking eye mask helps you maintain the relaxation state.
Combining the four elements provides you with a powerful and effective relaxation experience within 3-5 minutes.
Most people are so relaxed that they don’t need any other form of pain relief or blocker.
TENS Calms and Relaxes Your Muscles
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) will be familiar to anyone who has gone to a chiropractor or physical therapist. TENS causes muscles to contract and relax, allowing us to get the waste products out, get new blood flowing in and the body releases endorphins (the painkiller/feel good chemicals in the brain).
The Really Smile team has set up a TENSing room, complete with soothing lighting, soft music, calming scents, a massage chair, Tempur-Pedic cushions, soft blankets and neck pillows. It’s like relaxing at a high-end spa.
Here’s how it works:
1. We place small electrodes along various nerves that run around your head.
2. Every 1.5 seconds, a small amount of electrical current travels across the nerve.
3. This low-voltage current causes you no pain, but it scrambles normal pain signals, allowing the associated muscles to relax.
This simple process takes about an hour and leaves you feeling relaxed with a smile on your face.
While these may sound like “new age” techniques, years of medical research show they really work!
To learn more about the services that make us stand out, call our office at 317-597-8748. You can also use our online form to make an appointment.